Q. 31: What are the Environment Variables?
Environment variables are global variables available to all Actions
# They can be used to run a test case on different environment
# To add a new Environment variable go to Test -> Settings…->Environment (Tab)
# Environment variables are of two type:
1. Built in environment variables: Provide information about the system and the current test
2. User-Defined environment variables: are added in the Environment tab of Test Settings. These are Read-only during the test run
Q. 32: How many types of Parameters are there in QTP?============================================
There are two types of parameters:
1. Test parameters:
# These can be set in Test->Settings…->Parameters (Tab)
# Test parameters value can be provided when replaying the test
# Test arguments can be accessed in the test using TestArgs("")
2. Action parameters :
# Used to pass parameters to Action
# Output parameters can only be used when Action is being called for a single iteration
# Ex - RunAction "Login", oneIteration, "TestUser", "TestPass", out
# A parameter can be accessed using Parameter("ParamName")
Q. 33: What is Descriptive Programming?
Descriptive Programming is an alternate way of writing test cases without having objects in object repository
Descriptive programming can be done in two ways
1. Using Object description
2. Using String description
In Descriptive programming objects are identified by describing all the identification properties
Q. 34: After creating the test, what is the purpose of runing them?===================================================
1) To check your application: The test starts running from the first line in your test and stops at the end of the test. While running, QTP connects to your application and performs each operation in your test, including any checkpoints, such as checking any text strings, objects, tables, and so forth. If you parameterized your test with Data Table parameters, QTP repeats the test (or specific actions in your test) for each set of data values you defined.
2) To debug your application: You can control your run session to help you identify and eliminate defects in your test. You can use the Step Into, Step Over, and Step Out commands to run your test step by step. You can begin your run session from a specific step in your test, or run the test until a specific step is reached. You can also set breakpoints to pause your test at predetermined points. You can view the value of variables in your test each time it stops at a breakpoint in the Debug Viewer.
3) To update your application: You can run your test using Update Run Mode to update the property sets used for test object descriptions, the expected checkpoint values, the data available to retrieve in output values, and/or the Active Screen images and values.
You can run your test using Maintenance Run Mode when you know that your application has changed, and you therefore expect that QTP will not be able to identify the objects in your test. When you run tests in Maintenance Run Mode, a wizard opens for steps that fail because an object could not be found in the application. The wizard then guides you through the steps of resolving the issue, and, after you resolve the issue, the run continues.
Q. 35: What are the main stages of Testing with QTP?==========================================
Testing with QuickTest involves the following main stages:
2) Creating Tests
3) Running Tests
4) Analysing Results
Q. 36 : How can we do the Analysis of Results in QTP?===========================================
After you run your test, you can view the results.
# View the results in the Test Results window: After you run your test, you can view the results of the run in the Test Results window. You can view a summary of your results as well as a detailed report. If you captured still images or movies of your application during therun, you can view these from the Test Results window.
# Report defects detected during a run session: If you have access to Quality Center, the HP centralized quality solution, you can report the defects you discover to the project database. You can instruct QTP to automatically report each failed step in your test, oryou can report them manually from the Test Results window.
Q. 37: What is Business Process Testing?
# Business Process Testing is a role-based testing model that enables Subject Matter Experts—who understand the various parts of the application being tested—to create business process tests in Quality Center. Automation Engineers—who are experts in QTP and automated testing—use QTP to define all of the resources and settings required to create business process tests.
# Business Process Testing uses a keyword-driven methodology for testing, based on the creation and implementation of business components and business process tests. A business component is an easily-maintained, reusable unit comprising one or more steps that perform a specific task within an application.
Q. 38: What are Permissions Required to Run QuickTest Professional?============================================
You must have the following file system permissions:
1) Full read and write permissions for all the files and folders under the folder in which QTP is installed
2) Full read and write permissions to the Temp folder
3) Read permissions to the Windows folder and to the System folder
You must have the following registry key permissions:
1) Full read and write permissions to all the keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive
2) Read and Query Value permissions to all the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT keys
Q. 39: What is the role of Keyword view in QTP?======================================
The Keyword View enables you to create and view the steps of your test in a keyword-driven, modular, table format. The Keyword View is comprised of a table-like view, in which each step is a separate row in the table, and each column represents different parts of the steps. You can modify the columns displayed to suit your requirements.
You create and modify tests by selecting items and operations in the Keyword View and entering information as required. Each step is automatically documented as you complete it, enabling you to view a description of your test steps in understandable English.
Each operation performed on your application during a recording session is recorded as a row in the Keyword View.
Q. 40: What is the role of Expert view in QTP?====================================
In the Expert View, QTP displays each operation performed on your application in the form of a script, comprised of VBScript statements. The Expert View is a script editor with many script editing capabilities. For each object and method in an Expert View statement, a corresponding row exists in the Keyword View.
Keyword: QTP Interview Questions, FAQ QTP